Consular registration

On this page you will find all the information about your registration at the Consulate General.

  1. Last updated on

Registration at the Consulate-General is not compulsory but recommended.

Only registered citizens can obtain a Belgian identity card, Belgian passport or consular certificates.

Since 09/11/2020, the Belgian Consulate General in Dublin offers you the possibility to register in the consular population registers online

You can access this website if you:

  • are Belgian
  • are not (or no longer) registered in Belgium because you informed the commune/gemeente of your departure overseas.  
  • are in possession of a valid, activated Belgian eID card.
  • know your PIN code and have a card reader.

If you do not have an activated eID, please fill in the registration form manually and send it to us by post or by e-mail ( including:

Why you should register

Having your name registered in the population register kept by a Belgian consulate or embassy abroad entitles you to benefit from the same services as those provided by municipal authorities in Belgium, i.e. the management of your administrative file. Registering allows the embassy or consulate to assist you more efficiently when issuing an identity card, issuing consular certificates (e.g. residence certificates, registration certificates, certificates of nationality, 'household composition' certificates, cohabitation etc.). You may also participate in some elections in Belgium (federal general elections, and European elections if you reside in an EU Member State).

Foreign nationals who are part of your family may also be entered in the relevant population registers. However, registration does not entitle them to obtain a consular identity card or a passport, nor does it give them the right to be registered as a Belgian voter. If they require consular assistance, they should contact the office representing their country of origin.

By keeping your file up to date you will enable the embassy or consulate to help you more immediately, including in situations when you need emergency humanitarian aid (e.g. accidents, natural disasters, evacuations, and so on).

Read more on the FPS Foreign Affairs website